6 Tips for removing ice from the windshield
You should never pour hot water, because the sudden change in temperature can break the windshield.
Before the cold arrives …………..
Fill the windshield washer fluid reservoir with a specific product containing antifreeze (all or almost all of the market), in winter water or soapy water can freeze, which could freeze the electric pump system.
Prevent ice from forming on the windshield ……….
There are many homemade tricks more or less effective, such as rubbing the glass with a peeled potato, sprinkle it with a mixture of water and vinegar, etc. The most practical, simple and clean is to cover the moon with a cardboard or blanket (which will be necessary to hold with the windscreen wiper arms and the front doors). This will prevent the formation of ice and also the windshield wiper blades sticking to the glass.
Eliminate ice effectively………………
To remove the ice effectively, it is recommended to perform the following actions:
- Start the engine, connect the heating with the fan to the maximum and direct the flow of air to the windshield. Never wait for the engine to warm up before turning on the heater, the sudden change in temperature can crack the glass.
- Use a defrosting product: there are several in the market, although it is the most expensive solution.
- Spray the windshield with alcohol: Alcohol has a lower freezing point than water. If the ice layer is not very thick it is a good solution; otherwise, use a scraper to remove ice. The windshield fluid reservoir should not be filled with alcohol because it can damage it.
- Scrape the ice that has adhered to the glass: The ideal thing is to do it with a plastic scraper, but in case you do not have one, you can use a CD case or any plastic card or card (better if it lacks value). You must not use metallic instruments or materials that may scratch the glass.
- Operate the windshield wipers: You can use the windshield wipers and liquid dispensers to leave the moon perfectly clean after removing the ice, removing the brushes from the glass and whenever the liquid tank contains an anti-freeze product.